Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, January 23, 2011

12 weeks

We have officially entered the second trimester!!! So glad to be here and feel some relief.

Not much has changed pregnancy related lately. I am continuing to grow, daily at the astonishment of my husband. Although, I’m puzzled to figure that one out, he’s seen my belly grow on 5 other occasions. I know how intrigued he is with a pregnant woman’s body, at least he enjoys it.

Since this portion of pregnancy is usually the quietest, not as many doctor’s appointments or milestones occurring, the most important thing I have to focus on right now is nutrition. As I’ve said before, the requirements to maintain a high order pregnancy like this is unbelievable. I am hesitant to admit that I am feeling a little better and can eat more and more each day (hope I didn’t just jinx myself). Daily goals include 4,300 calories, 225 grams of protein, 2 liters of water (or more) as well as daily supplements (I think I counted around 12 pills each day). I have started a food journal to help track my daily progress and most of the food preparation, cooking and shopping is by my mom. I’m so grateful for her each day. I feel much more relaxed and able to think about the important things rather than if we’re out of milk.

My wonderful IM asked that my mom and I purchase and read a few good multiples books. Here’s the list for anyone interested:

“When You’re Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads” by Barbara Luke

“Having Twins and More” by Elizabeth Noble

Although both have great suggestions, there are also a lot of viewpoints rather than factual information. However, if you weed through and find the pertinent information, you can form your own standpoint and build your plan from there. My mom has been cooking many meals from Barbara Luke’s book and I’ve loved them all so far. It offers an easy to read layout of how nutritious each meal will be. My IM feels strongly about eating whole foods, organic products and green cleaning supplies. We have adjusted our entire family to eating and shopping this way. The studies associated with an organic lifestyle are all the more encouraging to forge ahead and continue on, pregnant or not. We have all been personally affected by disease, illness and cancer. If eating this way can help you or family be one step closure to healthy, why not?

So far in our journey we have been given assistance, advise and help from a Doula, a nutritionist, a nathropath, an acupuncturist, and a whole foods cooking instructor. Next, my hubby and I are off to see the OB for the first time in Los Angeles, Dr. Tabsh from UCLA Santa Monica. I am looking forward to the ultrasound as well as having a knowledgeable doctor such as him by our side. We will continue these drives to see him until we relocate to the area, most likely around April. My IM is also planning on flying over and staying from April on. I’m so thrilled knowing I get to see her and her beautiful babies. I keep having tearful dreams of seeing her little ones walk through the door and wrapping my arms around them, touching their skin and hair. It’s been over a year since I held the handsome little boy I birthed and I can’t wait to see how he’s changed. What beautiful children this couple creates, I can’t wait for the day when I get to see these 4 wonderful babies we’re growing in my belly.

My IM recently said to me how important your state of mind is. If you have in your head you can do something difficult, you’re more likely to succeed. I mentioned that the national average gestation for quads was around 30 weeks and based my timeline on that. She stopped me and mentioned their goal is to have me go many weeks past that average (besides, it’s only an average and I’m not average!). I agreed and appreciated the incentive. I have set my personal goal to gestate these babies to 35 weeks. I know I can do it, I will do it and I will shatter the average!!

35 weeks, here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment